Beard Family Trips & Vacations

Ottawa, ON

October 13, 2011 - Ottawa Walking Tour


Pictures from the Ottawa Walking Tour:

Craig McDonald, of Ottawa Walking Tour, meeting us in front of the Ottawa Information Centre.  In the background, you can see the Centre Block of Parliament Hill and just under the blue umbrella, you can see the statue of Terry Fox (see description from previous day in the Information Centre link.


Langevin Block next to the Information Centre.  This is where the Privy Council Office and the Office of the Prime Minister are located.


Tomb of the Unknown Soldier located at the National War Memorial.  This was a soldier that died in France during World War I and was buried here in the year 2000.  The next year after the tomb was completed, a tradition developed that Canadians would lay a poppy on the tomb on Remembrance Day (also called Poppy Day or Armistice Day) on November 11th of each year.  Soon after, they started leaving small paper Canadian flags on Canada Day (July 1st).

National War Memorial.


The Fairmont Chateau Laurier - original hotel built by the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway under the direction of Melville Hays, the general manager of the railway, and completed on June 1, 1912.  Hays did not see it completed due to being on the Titanic when is sank on April 14, 1912.  It houses celebrities and visitors in luxury, including when Queen Elizabeth visits or other members of the Royal family.  Several movie stars, who were in Ottawa filming a new movie, were staying there when we visited it.




Various scenes as seen from the National War Memorial area.


Statue of a grizzly bear easting a fish (left) and Darcy McGees Irish Pub (right).  This pub is the local meeting place of politicians and staff after work.



Various buildings on Sparks Street.  The glass door, besides La Mode with 67A on it, is the door used by the Prime Minister to go in and out of his office.


Inside the Bank of Canada where a museum on currency is located.


Confederation Building (left), an office building used for Parliament.  Bank of Canada  (right).


The old US embassy.



Back on Parliament Hill.



Stray Cats of the Hill or Canadian Parliament Cats.  This is a Cat Sanctuary on Parliament Hill for a dozen cats that are taken care of by volunteers.  If extra cats show up, they are taken to an animal shelter.  All the cats are neutered or spayed.






Various pictures taken from behind the Centre Block of surrounding area.



The back of the Library of Parliament attached to the Centre Block on Parliament Hill.







More of the surrounding area.


The current U.S. Embassy (left) and Notre Dame Cathedral (right).


Famous Five Women statues on Parliament Hill.  They argued for women's rights in front of the Supreme Court of Canada.


Inside the Fairmont Chateau Laurier (left) and approaching ByWard Market (right) where the tour ended.


Contact Information

Matthew Beard

10318 Sagegate Dr., Houston, TX 77089

Email addresses (select one):

Copyright notice: Information contain on this site is the property of the owner and must not be used without written permission.  Please utilize the above contact information for information.

This site was last updated 11/27/11